Friday, December 28, 2012

My low profile rig

For the camera geeks out there I thought I would show the rig that I used when shooting the majority of the documentary footage in China.
I needed to keep a low profile, have stability and accurate focusing and to be able to set up and pack up fast. I found this set up to be very nimble and effective and it all fitted easily into my Fastpack 350 leaving room for 3 extra lenses and my sound gear. You know that your equipment is working well when you forget that you are using it and become completely immersed in what you are shooting.

fastpack 350 black-900x900

I have already posted about the Edelkrone Pocket Rig here but that was before I had used it in the field. I found it to be the ideal base for the sort of work I was doing in China. It was discreet, versatile and reassuringly well constructed.

Edelkrone pocket rig

The components are as follows:

  • Edelkrone Pocket Rig
  • Fast Strap
  • Basic handle V2
  • Edelkrone Focus One
  • Rail block mounting plate
  • Zacuto Z-Finder 3.0
  • Bluestar eyepiece

Edelkrone pocket rig 2

Everything went pretty smoothly apart from when my wide angle lens fell out of my pocket and out of the van we were travelling in (fortunately Canon L lenses seem to be pretty tough) and when my Z-Finder got dropped into a fish farm!

2 comments:

  1. How are you happy with this combo so far?

    Thanks from Czech republic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. Not sure how I missed this. I've been transitioning to a new blog here www.trimvideo.co.uk
      Anyway. I have been very happy with my mini rig. I still use it almost everyday. It's ideal for fast run-and-gun work. It can get a bit tiring for your arms on long shoots though.

      Delete